Reusable Pads for Periods
If you are thinking of making the switch to reusable period pads, we'd like to give you a big ol' planet-friendly high-five! Besides being much gentler on our planet, reusable pads have a number of other advantages:
- Comfort: reusables are made from fabric, the same as clothing, so they feel much better and more natural against your body
- Performance: reusable pads outperform disposables in terms of absorbency
- Customized: make them perfect for you by choosing from a variety of lengths and absorbencies to match your individual needs
- Hypo-Allergenic: no more painful rashes or reactions from disposables (and no more pads getting stuck where nothing should ever get stuck!)
- Economical: you'll stop wasting your hard-earned money on literal garbage every month
Pretty: reusable pads come in a variety of pretty and fun prints, designed to bring you a little happiness at a time of month that can be a bit aggravating
Aren't reusable pads...gross?!
We'd like to put a hard stop to this idea right now. The idea that menstrual flow is gross is, frankly, misogynistic and is a cause of shame and oppression of women worldwide. In many developing nations, young women are actually prevented from getting an education, as they stay home while on their periods. Let's lead the way by ending the stigma of menstruation.
Here at Amie Pads, we believe that menstruation is a natural, healthy part of life and needs to be simply accepted and normalized without any fanfare or shame.
How many do I need?
This is very individualized, but we generally suggest you build up to a stash of about 12-18 pads and liners in a variety of lengths and absorbencies. We find women are happiest with their stashes when they take awhile to build them up over time, allowing them to find out which pads they most prefer, instead of buying an entire stash at one time. Our Basic Reusable Pad Starter Set is our most popular set, offering you a few different pads and is a terrific place to start.
Which ones should I start with?
You can do one of two things:
- Start with a Starter Set
- Choose your own - we suggest if you'd like to pick out your own, that you check out the Guide to Amie Pad Sizing
How do you wash them?
We think you'll find them super-simple to care for. First, we highly recommend you wash and dry all pads and liners before first use. After use, we suggest the following simple wash routine:
- Store unrinsed pads in an open wetbag or pail until ready to wash.
- When ready to wash, soak pads overnight in COLD water with a bit of dissolved OxiClean™ and detergent.
- Rinse pads and treat any remaining stains. Repeat soak, if necessary.
- Wash and dry pads with regular laundry, WITHOUT fabric softener.
I am a cup-user. Can I combine this with reusable pads?
Firstly, way to go on choosing sustainable menstrual care! We are big cup fans. And, of course you can. While our friends at Diva Cup tell us that a cup is safe to sleep in, many women prefer to swap out to a heavy absorbency pad overnight and will often use a light pad at the end of their cycles. We have a curated starter set called the Cup Back Up Set, just for you!
I have a super-heavy period. Can I use reusables?
Absolutely. If you are unsure of what to start with, please reach out at anytime to chat over your needs with us, using the contact form at the bottom of every page. We have actually helped many women with some pretty epic cycles make the switch to reusables. Take Shawna for instance...
I have other questions
No problem. We have a whole FAQ page for you! Also, we have a blog where we aim to do a deeper dive on many questions or special circumstances. And, finally, we are here to help! When you use the contact form at the bottom of the page, you will be emailing a real person (Christine, the owner of Amie) who is here to help you. Please reach out anytime!